How to Make a Swing Cushion?If you plan to make outdoor furniture cushions for your porch or yard swing, follow the steps given below. You will need strong fabric, bed pillows, fabric protector to protect the cushion from rain, moisture etc. and ribbons.
- Take the fabric, preferably denim, as it is an outdoor cushion. It should be one and half yards 50" - 60" wide.
- Lay your fabric down and place the pillows on top.
- Measure 1 1/2" away from the pillow at the top and bottom and both sides. Mark the points, which is your cutting line.
- Now remove the pillows and cut your fabric.
- Turn the fabric right sides together and stitch on three sides (approximately 1/2" - 3/4" from edge).
- Turn the fabric right side out. Insert both the pillows one by one.
- Now stitch- hand stitch or machine stitch- the opened end by turning it in. You may sew a straight stitch that is much easier to do.
- Now cut the ribbon in 10" strips. Stitch the ribbon strips to the four corners of your cushion.
- Spray the fabric protector to guide it from stains.
- Place the newly made cushion on the swing seat and tie the ribbons on four sides with the seat. You can use it as a bench cushion too.
How to Make a Rocking Chair Cushion?
- Place a large piece of paper over the seat of rocking chair and outline the seat on the paper with marker. Cut out this pattern.
- Pin the paper pattern to the newspaper and cut out the same shape. Leave seam allowance of about 5/8-inch.
- Fold the cushion fabric with right sides of the fabric together. Now pin the news paper cushion pattern, with seam allowance, to the fabric and cut out carefully. You will have two pieces to make your rocking chair cushion.
- Now take the smaller paper cushion pattern and put it on quilt batting. Cut as much layers of quilt batting as you want your cushion to be thick.
- With the help of thread, baste the quilt batting layers together in order to keep them from shifting.
- Measure the thickness of the quilt batting layers and add 1-1/4 inches to that measurement . These extra inches are for the 5/8-inch seam allowance at top and bottom.
- Now measure the circumference of the quilt batting layers and cut a strip of fabric matching the length of the circumference. It should be wide as the distance between the top and bottom and should have an extra 1-1/4 inches.
- Pin this fabric strip to the top cushion piece (right sides facing). Now stitch one side of the strip to the circumference of the cushion piece.
- Again pin the other side of the fabric strip to the bottom cushion piece and stitch round the circumference. Leave enough opening to stuff in the quilt batting layers.
- Now insert the quilt batting layers.
- Stitch the cushion together. You can do it by hand or by machine stitching. Use slip stitch when doing by hand.
- At the back of the cushion, sew ties into the seam. This will aid in tying the cushion with the rocking chair.
- Your rocking chair cushion is ready to use.
For making your cushions beautiful, use cushion covers. For guidance on cushion covers, read Cushion Covers