The test identifies the natural fibers more easily as compared to man made ones. Synthetic fibers are very similar in appearance and the increase in the number of varieties, makes it a little tough to distinguish the fibers even under a microscope.
This technical fiber identification test has the following advantages:
- More reliable than the non technical tests.
- Used for both man made fibers and natural fibers.
- Easily conducted.
- Certain manufacturing and finishing processes like mercerizing, affects the appearance of the fibers under the microscope.
- Very dark colored fabrics cannot be identifies under microscope.
- Dye stuffs must be removed from fabrics.