There are certain permanent care labeling rules that all the manufacturers must follow. The rules are as follows:
- The permanent care labeling rule requires the textile manufacturers to labels with appropriate care instructions, which are permanently legible.
- The labels must be affixed in a manner that ensures permanent attachment for the length of the product's useful life.
- The labels may be sewed, glued, to the fabric
- The care instructions may be woven, printed or inscribed in an appropriate manner.
- The label must be so placed, that it is readily available to the consumer at the time of purchase.
Fabric Care for Consumers
The care of fabrics used for home furnishings has always been a concern for consumers. Manufacturers generally assist the process by providing adequate labeling with proper care instructions.
The fabric care depends on the kind of fabric being used for a particular home furnishing product. Some of the general care tips are:
- Brush and air the fabric frequently.
- Store in a clean place when not in use.
- Mend the torn fabric immediately.
- Use appropriate cleaning method- washing or dry cleaning.
- Send the fabric for frequent laundering when the fabric is washable.
- Use proper method of laundering, depending on the type of fabric.
- Iron or press the fabric properly.